CBD - Living up to the hype
Posted by : Bryan Bradford /
Nature’s miracle molecule that actually lives up to the hype
CBD: Nature’s miracle molecule that actually lives up to the hype.
The health world is buzzing about CBD. It seems wherever you turn CBD is showing up – people are putting it into teas, jellies, using it topically, and taking a variety of pills and liquid concentrates. Our customers claim that CBD helps relieve their depression, masks pain, reduces inflammation, and helps them sleep. CBD, also known as cannabidiol, is one of over 113 cannabinoids extracted from hemp 1. Known as medical marijuana’s less trippy cousin, hemp contains almost no THC 2. So no, CBD cannot get you high, is entirely legal, and won’t show up on drug tests. The many benefits of CBD and other cannabinoids are now the subjects of thousands of research papers from across the world 3.
Cannabinoids are a diverse class of chemical compounds that act on cannabinoid receptors found throughout the brain and body 4. The human body produces cannabinoids known as endocannabinoids while plant-based cannabinoids are known as phytocannabinoids 4. In fact, many common herbs produce phytocannabinoids such as rosemary, clove, oregano, basil, and many others 5. Contrary to popular belief, CBD does not directly attach to cannabinoid receptors but still activates them and a vast array of other receptors in the body that are responsible for everything from temperature regulation to pain perception 6.
Let’s look at some of the research-backed ways that CBD can work for you.
- 1. CBD has strong anti-inflammatory actions in our immune system 7 . Our immune system operates within a careful balance of pro-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory chemical messengers. When these messengers become imbalanced immunity is suppressed, inflammation increases and disease progression soon follows 8 . CBD has been shown to balance the most prolific of these messengers Th1, Th2, and th17 as well as suppress several inflammatory proteins 9, 10 .
- 2. CBD reduces both psychological and physical measures of stress and anxiety 11 . In one study CBD was found to be just as effective as the widely prescribed anti-anxiety medication diazepam 12 . Researchers suggest that CBD could be useful for panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, social anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorders 13 . CBD accomplishes this by acting on serotonin and dopamine receptors in several areas of the brain related to stress and anxiety 14 .
- 3. CBD is the most effective cannabinoid for pain reduction. CBD is over 100 times more potent than THC at reducing pain 15 . A research review of CBD showed it as a significant pain reducer for neuropathy, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, and general chronic pain 16 . Additionally, there were no reported serious adverse effects, with the most common side effect being relaxation and better sleep. Sign me up!
- 4. CBD helps protect against neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s 17 . CBD acts as an antioxidant in the brain and is more powerful than vitamin C and vitamin E18 . By reducing oxidative stress, CBD helps with stroke recovery 19 , reduces plaque toxicity in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s 20 , and can even reduce the neurotoxic effects of MSG 21 .
- 5. No discussion of CBD is complete without mentioning its powerful anti-tumor and anti-cancer actions 22 . CBD has been studied as a capable agent against leukemia, cervical, breast, colon, prostate, and brain cancers 23-27 . ATP is the energy currency of every cell in the body including cancer cells so measuring ATP in cancer is an important biomarker for how fast a cancer is growing and potentially spreading. A recent study showed CBD reduced ATP in cancer cells by up to 93% 28 ! This profound reduction in energy production may be the primary way CBD leads to cancer cell death. CBD also enhances immune cells ability to kill cancer 29 and reduces specific signaling pathways that cancers use to spread or metastasize 30 .
Here at the Shoppe, we are fully committed to CBD and have an ever-expanding selection of it. If you haven’t done so already, stop by and see what natures miracle molecule can do for you.